Well..here you are on Facebook trying to get your fans engaged AND drive them to your cash register. The problem is nobody is interacting with you. No likes, no comments, no shares, nothing! Just you and the virtual crickets…so what does a guy have to do to get his (or her) fans off their online behinds and start interacting so you can sell them something? Here are a few things you might want to try that have worked for other small businesses on Facebook.
by Herb Lawrence, Arkansas State University Small Business and Technology Development Center. Engaging Small Businesses from the Delta to the Ozarks
For most small businesses today, just having a Facebook page and occasionally posting something about “Buy My Junk” just doesn’t cut it anymore. Sure, three or four years ago a small business setting up a Facebook page was still novel and you might get away not taking your fans into consideration when you posted. But today, with over 60% of all businesses using Facebook to market their products or services, you have to get your fans engaged if you want to get them to your cash register.
Thanks to Social Media Online Classes for sharing a great set of Facebook Marketing Strategies suggestions that any small business can put to work for their page to get fans engaged.
Tips for Fan Engagement on Facebook
- Feature a FAN OF THE MONTH! (Or week): Pick out some fans who have been interacting on your page and give them some “love”. Everybody likes to be noticed and they might even share it with their friends. Better yet…don’t just say “Our Fan of the Week is…”: Give them something special and let everybody know they got something special. After a while you will get fans asking what they have to do to be the “feature” fan so they can get the neat stuff. This is one of my favorite suggestions and will be starting this myself on the ASU SBTDC Facebook page!
- Ask Questions of Your Fans: I don’t mean asking “what’s your favorite color or breed of cat” I mean ask them questions about your business product or service that they would CARE about. Tell them you are going to market in Dallas next week and you would like suggestions on what to bring home. Ask them questions that really matter to them (not you)!
- Use your Fans to do Market Research: Here are potential customers who care enough about you, your product or service to “like” your page so use your posts to find out information about them, their likes and dislikes, what they look for when shopping for your product or service. Here is a great way to get some important data about your customers you can use to improve your operations. Take advantage of it.
- Ask for Fan Content: Ask your fans to post on your wall. If you sell sewing supplies let them post pictures of their latest creation. Of course after they post be sure to make your own comments (this could be a great way to get those Fans of the Week in #1 above).
- Ask Your Fans to Share Your Content: Don’t just assume because you posted something that your fans automatically know to share or re-share it with their friends. In your post ask them to share it with their friends! You might be surprised at the results. When they share your post with their friends your logo and page shows up and can help bring your fans friends to like your page.
- Ask for their Biggest Challenge: I like this one a lot because of the potential to show them how you can help them overcome that challenge with your product or service! So if you are a hair salon and a fan said her biggest challenge is frizzy hair then write a short post on how to get rid of the frizzies. Thank them and give them something special!
Thanks again to Social Media Online Classes for sharing these Facebook Marketing Strategies with us. Learn more about Social Media Online Classes and see more strategies at their website.
These are just six examples of ways to engage your Facebook fans that can actually get you communicating with them that can lead them off the page and into your business! So how do you engage your Facebook fans? We want to hear from you! Leave us a comment below on our blog, or share it with us on Facebook by going to the ASU SBTDC Facebook page. (If you aren’t a fan, join us and get $600 of online training workshops FREE just for becoming a fan!… you can share this with your friends if you want!)
Find out more about leveraging Facebook for your small business by joining the ASU Small Business staff for our Facebook Marketing ABCs workshop in Jonesboro on Thursday, March 22nd. Great workshop presented by Abbi Siler with Pleth, LLC that will show you how to engage Fans and energize your social media marketing. Click here: Facebook Marketing ABCs for more information or to register.
Finally, if you liked this article please push that big ole G+ button below and let Google know you thought it was pretty cool!